Happy new year everyone!
When I woke up this morning I asked the DH what his resolutions for 2013 were. His response in typical Will form, “Resolutions are for losers that need to change their lives.” Amazingly this is one of the many reasons I love this man, he’s a blunt as I am. I however have a slightly different take on new year resolutions, I simply look at them as goals for the year. I’m terrible with long term goals, I don’t have a 5 year plan. I’m not really sure why I need one, I’d much rather have a “bucket list” of sorts and check things off as I go along.
Every January I do 2 things. I make a list of things I’d like to accomplish for the year, it’s usually reasonable things that I can actually accomplish with 1 or 2 more outlandish tasks tossed in for a challenge. I’m very easy going about my list, I don’t get down on myself if I don’t manage to complete the list, that’s just simply a silly way to end a year. I figure anything I didn’t really start or accomplish from the list wasn’t all that important to begin with, or something more important came up. The other thing I do is revisit our budget spread sheet. Knowing how much money you have coming in and going out is extremely important, especially in a household where the family isn’t all that dedicated to having a savings account.
After explaining to Will my point of view on resolutions he agreed to have 1 for himself and 1 combined one with me. I of course have far more than just 1 silly ol resolution, but I took what he was offering.
DH’s resolution: Get in better shape (it’s sort of cheating, this is his all the time goal, but at least he picked something, it’s also cheating because he’s not out of shape he just hasn’t been able to turn his regular stomach into a 6 pack.)
Joint resolution: Get debt free (also sort of cheating as this is an on going goal, but it’s still a good goal.) We actually made really good progress on this in 2012. And there’s no real way for us to completely wipe out our debt in 2013 since we have a condo and newish car that we’re paying on, but we can make some more dents.
- To write in this blog more often. I’m going to aim for 2x a week. I’m feeling off to a good start already.
- To get healthier. I was honestly sick once a month for the entirety of 2012. I don’t really know why, but I’m dedicated to not dealing with that again in 2013. So if anyone has some suggestions I’ll take them. I’m going to start with Dr. Oz’s liver detox.
- Along with getting healthier getting back to the gym. For a long time I was really good about going to the gym 4-5 times a week, but getting sick once a month will do you in. I haven’t been since the end of October when I got the flu.
- Start learning Italian. This was on the list last year, but I never really got around to starting for reasons that I think were worth putting it off for another year, but it’s still something I want to do.
- Finish painting/ decorating my house. I managed to get the living room it’s final coat of Cut Ruby (deep red) just in time to put up the Christmas tree. I also painted the kitchen/ dining room earlier this year, as well as the 2nd bedroom/ comic book room. I’m just left with the stairwell which is simply going to be white. Our bedroom, which would have been done I just couldn’t find the perfect shade of sea-foam green, I happened upon it when we went to buy the red for the living room. MMMMmmmmmm Cool Pool…… And finally the upstairs bathroom can use another coat of the hot pink color that it is currently. After the paint it’s just the finishing touches or art and throw pillows.
- More traveling. Which of course will lead to more writing in this here blog. A lot of my vacation time last year was used for visiting family and some health issues for them and myself. We still managed to get some really great trips in, just not quite as many as I/ we wanted. This might mean more shorter trips this year, but I’m completely alright with that. And we’re starting off the year by going back to Walt Disney World in Feb. 2013.
What are your resolutions for the new year?